The Buddy & THEIN triangles were developed in close cooperation with Thomas “Buddy” Höfs (Percussionist at the Stuttgart State Opera).
The triangles are all characterized by an extremely wide sound spectrum. The hand-forged instruments have a fantastic response, without any annoying impact noise, so that even heavy triangles can be played with light sticks without any problems.
In the “ff” the fundamental character of each instrument is very homogeneously linked with the dense wealth of overtones.
The hand forged triangles made of a THEIN special metal alloy – gold brass have prevailed against the earlier nickel silver triangles due to their tonal similarity. Today we only manufacture them on explicit customer request.
Today the triangles are available in 7 different sizes and 4 different material diameters.
Size 1 – 2: The triangles develop great brightness, especially in parts with drum rolls in fortissimo: (Strauss: “Zarathrusta”; Mahler: “Sinfonien”; Schönberg: “Gurre-Lieder”; Messiaen: “Turangalila”)
Size 1 – 3:This light basic key version is preferred in sizes 1 – 3 because of its variety of sounds (without significant sound changes). Due to its extreme wealth of overtones, the triangle is used in “romantic music”. At the same time, their timbre is really “magical”, especially at the tricky pp-parts.
Size 3 – 4: Sizes 3 and 4 are the universal sizes of the instrument. In this basic key of the triangle, rhythmic figures as well as single beats can be brought into the respective orchestral sound very homogeneously.
Size 5 – 7:The sizes 5 – 7 represent a separate sound range. Here the sound of the triangle has the character of crotales, the ancient cymbals. This character is found, for example in:
Mozart: “Entführung aus dem Serail”
Beethoven: “9. Synphonie”
Rossini: “Italienerin in Algier”
Material: THEIN special metal alloy – gold brass
Material-Ø: 8 mm, 10 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm
Size 1: side length 32 cm
Size 2: side length 29 cm
Size 3: side length 26 cm
Size 4: side length 22 cm
Size 5: side length 18 cm
Size 6: side length 15 cm
Size 7: side length 11 cm
Buddy & THEIN Triangles are played in the following orchestras (i.a.):
- Cleveland Orchestra (USA)
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra (USA)
- Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra (USA)
- New York Philharmonic Orchestra (USA)
- Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, New York (USA)
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra (USA)
- Royal Danish Orchestra, Kopenhagen (DK)
- Royal Swedish Orchestra, Stockholm (SWE)
- Göteborg Operan Orchestra (SWE)
- Staatsoper Hamburg (DE)
- Bremer Philharmoniker (DE)
- Orchester der Staatsoper Stuttgart (DE)
- SWR Symphonieorchester, Stuttgart (DE)
- Ensemble Modern, Frankfurt a. M. (DE)
- Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen (DE)
- Berliner Philharmoniker (DE)
- Bamberger Symphoniker (DE)
- Symphonieorchester des Bayrischen Rundfunks (DE)
- Hochschulen für Musik in: Freiburg, Hannover, Berlin, Würzburg (DE)
- Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra (NL)
- Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam (NL)
- Radio-Sinfonieorchester Basel (CH)
- Wiener Philharmoniker (AU)
- Chamber Orchestra of Europe (EU)